May 26, 2022

Nick Whittingham writes: Every six months, the energy regulator reviews the OFGEM price range – the maximum price that energy companies can charge for each unit of energy you use.

It was introduced to protect those who have never switched energy companies or whose companies have gone bankrupt, for example, as these tariffs have traditionally been very high.

However, due to the sharp rise in wholesale gas prices and high demand for heating in the cold season, the new limit has been set at £ 1,971 per year, for direct debit customers (£ 693 increase) and £ 1,309 ( a) £ 708 increase) for prepaid customers.

Sign up On our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

I Newsletter Cut through the noise

New price range: Increased bill for non-fixed tariffs. Photo: Adobe

This means that about 22 million households that are not currently on fixed tariffs will see significant increases in the prices of their gas and electricity bills.

At Citizens Advice nationally, we are already seeing significant increases in the cost of debt and living advice.

In the last three months of 2021, Frontline staff assisted one person every 40 seconds in the issue of fuel debt – a 40% increase over the same period in 2020.

At the same time, the cost of living (such as buying your home groceries) is rising and with rising inflation and the National Insurance Schedule, people will see that their income is not increasing as much as it used to. ۔

Because of this some families have to choose between warming up or eating – but remember we are here to help.

Should I change my supplier?

For now, we recommend that you do nothing.

The current price range is the cheapest tariff in the market, so you may have to pay more if you switch.

I can’t afford my energy bills.

The first step is to figure out if you can reduce the amount of energy you use.

This could be by making some changes to your home (for example, by turning off your thermostat).

If you need further assistance, you can contact your supplier directly to see if they offer a grant and scheme (such as a warm home discount), or to arrange a payment plan.

These vary from energy company to company, and you may need to reapply if you have recently changed suppliers.

You can call the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline on 0808 2231133 (free phone), open from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

If you would like to speak with us, you can call us on 0808 2787896, where the Kirklees Citizens Advice and Law Center helps thousands of people each year.

We can help you deal with any issues other than energy issues, such as employment, housing, debt, benefits and more.

Check it out on our website For more information about the services we provide and the support available.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.